Two Gallons of Love

|
I set my two milk jugs down and waited in line at Safeway. It was a Sunday evening, and Mom sent me to the store for milk, since we were on our last gallon. A short lady, probably in her twenties, stood in line in front of me with a few items. She turned around and looked at me, smiling softly and mumbling something which I didn't understand.

It was soon her turn to pay and as she opened her check book she told the cashier lady, "Why don't you ring her milk up with my stuff."
My mouth probably hung open for a few minutes, until I finally found words. "You don't have to do that," I said.
"I know. I just want to bless a stranger."
"Wow, thank you."

Her simple act of kindness left me speechless. I wondered if it was the love of Jesus that compelled her to love others in this way. I felt overwhelmed at her generosity, but also somewhat guilty. Shouldn't I have been the one doing that?

I walked to the car still amazed at this woman. Thanking God for the tender heart He gave her, tears filled my eyes. Sadly, you just don't see that kind of selfless giving very often these days.

I wonder what kind of impact Christians could make in the world, if each one of us took advantage of all the little ways to show Christ's love to others. It could be paying for someone's milk at the grocery store, buying a Starbucks drink for the homeless man sitting out in the cold, or handing out candy to kids playing at the park. What we do doesn't matter...as long as we do something.

I want to love like that. Who's with me?

0 messages: